straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sentinal





I am special.

Everyone has told me that since I was born. I guess I kind of accept it now, as it is clear I will never be your average dog. Yep, that's me in the middle. I am a black lab named Sentinal and today my life changed forever. As this is being written I am on my way to Oregon for some intensive training to be a guide dog for a blind person. If I do well of course. My family says it's kind of like going off to college. They were even all crying (well, the man just a little) and saying goodbye. Humans are kind of strange like that.

It's hard to believe it was over a year ago that I was on a long truck trip. My litter mates and others like me left California and traveled for days. Now, I have been fussed over since I was born-checked and double checked, all kinds of shots and exams-I have to tell you I got a little tired of it. My mom seemed used to it, as she has seen it all before. When they took me away from her, I was very used to people, but missed her a lot. The truck was fun though-lots of pups like me. But with every stop, there were fewer and fewer of us. Until one day it was my turn.

The driver came in and scooped me out of my cage. "It's your turn today buddy!" he exclaimed. He took me in his arms and we entered a big building in Salt Lake City. He stood outside a door and I heard someone inside say" And, noooooowwww....SENTINAL!"





He carried me in and people were cheering and clapping. A grinning blond girl (the one in the picture) took me in her arms and hugged me and I licked her face. I guess you could say it was love at first sight! (Hey, she was really pretty!) Then another pretty blond girl took me too and I could tell from the start they were both going to love me big time! After that, lots of people held me and ooohed and aahhed and it went on and on. Eventually, we all got in a car and drove for a while. Finally I found myself in a very nice home with people who obviously thought I was...well, like I said, special! I took turns living with the blond girls and their families, alternating weeks. It was a little weird, but I got used to it.

Since then, they have taken care of me and taught me some very important stuff-like not pooping on the floor. (For humans, this is a very big deal) I learned things that really seem to make them happy, like sitting and staying on command (this is so easy I don't do it sometimes just to see what the humans do). The biggest thing they do is take me virtually everywhere: church, movies, restaraunts,camping,school (I went to school A LOT), camping-like I said, everywhere! This makes sense, since one day I will lead a blind person. The man in the picture even took me somewhere called "campus". He seemed to enoy it, which is good because I think he didn't like me too much at first-he thought I was a hassle and for some reason got excited when I peed on the carpet and chewed up his stuff. But he got over it!

It hasn't all been fun though. It's been tough on me sometimes: they just won't let me be a dog! I mean come on, I can't chase a ball, run at the park, play with other dogs,chew on stuff...frankly, it gets to me sometimes. But they say it's because I was born for, well, bigger things. I felt better when I heard the man tell the blond girl that she was kind of in the same situation. He said she was special too, and sometimes she just shouldn't do what a lot of other kids do, because God made her for bigger things. That's hard for humans too, I guess. We all have to trust that it is worth it!

One thing I know they appreciated was how quiet I am. I guess a lot of dogs kind of run off at the mouth. They say I have only woofed about five times! I didn't think much of it really-that's just who I am.

Well, all that's over now. I will miss those blond girls-I grew to love them and will always remember them. If I make it through the program, they told me they would come to my gradaution. That would be awesome! I know they are praying for me-and for the blind person I will be matched up with.

So here we go!

I will return here some day and let you know how it all turns out!

Thanks for reading-and I hope you know that God has plans for you too!

2 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

made me cry Rob...

What a gift... what a gift... Your hearts will always be attached as Sentinel stands watch.

Proud of you all for such a generous gift... and deeply encouraged. :)

8/10/2007 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

I love this entry; dogs have such a way of crawling under your skin and getting right next to your heart. It's a great metaphor too - you have such a cool way of thinking. You all are in thoughts and prayers, Sentinel too.

9/04/2007 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home