straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Last Word

I know, I know. I said we were done with whether Jesus was told no to his prayers or not. But...

I am always on the lookout for good books to give to students in our ministry. A few weeks ago I picked up Christian Beliefs by Wayne Grudem. I took a theology class from Dr. Grudem some years ago, and found him a brilliant and warm professor. He has a BA from Harvard, MDiv. from Westminster Seminary and a PhD from Cambridge. The book is a simplified version of his 50 lb volume, Systematic Theology, which I also have and use fairly often. The small paperback is also edited by his son, who has a Mdiv. from Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, Florida.

So imagine my surprise as I skimmed this new book and found the following paragraphs in the chapter on prayer:

"When our prayers aren't answered, we join the company of men like Jesus and Paul, whose prayers were not answered (italics mine). Even Jesus, before he was crucified, asked his Father to "remove this cup" from him. But his humility and submission to God's will are evident in the second part of his prayer" "Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."

Three times, Paul pleaded with the Lord to take away his affliction; the Lord did not do so, but instead told Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you..." (2 Cor.12:8-9)

These unanswered prayers did not deter either Jesus' or Paul's trust in a God who works "all things...together for good" (Rom. 8:28) (p. 52)

Nuff said.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a bit confused.

How was the words God told Paul "My grace is sufficient for you" not an answer?

Or is the definition of 'unanswered prayer' meaning 'how we want it to be?"

6/13/2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Emily and Jason said...

Paul, for one, was a mere human like the rest of us, so it is no surprise that all of his prayers were not offered according to the will of the Father.

Jesus, on the other hand, the God-man was always heard by the Father as has already been stated.
John 11:42

I fail to see how anyone could possibly derive any comfort from such a notion that Jesus' prayers were not answered.

I'll repeat myself one more time. Why would we have any confidence that any of Christ's other prayers were answered if indeed this was not?

6/14/2007 11:21 AM  
Blogger Emily and Jason said...

I checked out Matthew Henry's commentary and he had this to say:

But what answer had he to this prayer? Certainly it was not made in vain; he that heard him always, did not deny him now. It is true, the cup did not pass from him, for he withdrew that petition, and did not insist upon it (if he had, for aught I know, the cup had passed away); but he had an answer to his prayer; for, (1.) He was strengthened with strength in his soul, in the day when he cried (Ps. cxxxviii. 3); and that was a real answer, Luke xxii. 43. (2.) He was delivered from that which he feared, which was, lest by impatience and distrust he should offend his Father, and so disable himself to go on with his undertaking, Heb. v. 7. In answer to his prayer, God provided that he should not fail or be discouraged.

6/14/2007 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home