straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Welcome Home, Casey Jones

His name would always bring a smile to your face.

If you didn't know him, you might think of the famous train engineer or the baseball poem about Casey at bat. But our Casey Jones was nearly 80 years old, and basically a cowboy who lived alone in a trailer. And one of the warmest, kindest, most sincere men I have ever known. On Tues morning, sitting in his chair at home, Casey went to be with the God he worshiped. A friend found him and said he looked...peaceful.

Our family knew Casey initially through his horses. He let my wife ride with him alot (she loves to ride but rarely gets a chance) and I went a few times too. He was part of our church for many years, always the first one there on Sunday morning, setting up chairs or whatever needed to be done. He never married. Never worried about money (he had very little) and always talked about the Lord. Above all, he was a man of prayer. At his memorial service I learned that he came to Christ as a young Marine, when he went to a special New Year's Eve service at a church where he was posted, I believe during the Korean War. And so it was fitting that a Marine Honor Gaurd presided over his burial on a beautiful summer day in Preston, Idaho.

Yes, Casey Jones was one of a kind. This kind, gentle cowboy...an ex-Marine who had given his life to Jesus long ago, finally met him face to face.

Casey Jones-welcome home!

5 Comments:

Blogger A said...

Wow, thanks for the info. He was one of the faces I really wish I could have looked up with when I was in Logan on Spring Break.

I remember having Thanksgiving and Easter dinners with him at the Combes' house on several occasions. I remember him belting out "The Old Rugged Cross" for special music at church, and I remember his ready hugs and his strong arms actually picking me-yes me!-up off the ground in one of his wonderful bear hugs on many a Sunday morning. What a wonderful man. I can't wait to see him again in heaven and I know that he's singing much louder and in perfect pitch and harmony now.

See you soon Casey.

6/21/2007 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He will be greatly missed. He was such kind and gentle man.

6/22/2007 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us know about dear ol' Casey.

6/23/2007 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh. He really was a nice man. I'm sad to hear of his passing.

6/23/2007 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I was just telling Dave about him the other week. What a kind and gentle man, like a grandpa to some of us. Throughout all the changes and struggles college can bring, he was a man of stability and encouragement.
Laura

6/27/2007 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home