straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Friday, September 01, 2006

Is Paris Learning?*

Well, a picture really is worth a thousand words! I have received many comments about my last post, mostly verbal ones from people who read this. I was a little surprised, but since I don't usually post pictures I guess it caught people off-gaurd. But once again, it is encouraging to know how many people are interested in my efforts!

Now, some of the responses here betray a cursary reading of my last post. I did not critisize blondes in any way and meant no disrespect of i-pods or their listeners. After all, my beloved Pastor has one! No, I simply meant that many YOUNG people, especially the really good lo0king ones, do not read or think much anymore. I am not the only one saying this of course. Many articles have been written (I know this because I read alot, on airplanes and in doctor's offices ) suggesting that the current college age generation is the most illiterate in American History. My experience of 30 years on campus would support that. I can't tell you how many students in our ministry admit they do not read-some have read the first book in their lives in the last year!

My fourth grade son came home with his reading folder this week-at the top it says "Readers are Thinkers". Thus, I think it is safe to say that 20 year old Paris Hilton wanna-bes are not praying or listening to thoughtful speakers on their ipods-but I will ask one sometime, as awkward as that might be. ("Excuse me, but I think most men would find you very attractive. Can I ask what you are listening to or what you are thinking about? I am doing a study for my blog")

But I might get slapped.

By the way, Paris Hilton is an airhead. If you have ever seen her talk, it is quite obvious. She merely has good handlers who tell her how to be a star and how to look good and what to do next, like record a CD, her latest effort. If you doubt this, well, as the saying goes, I have a car I would like to sell you.......


*Note: Does anybody get the title puns regarding movies ? If so, tell me what the last two are and you will win a prize!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is that possible that someone gets to college and is just reading their first book?! That's insane.

1. ? (I thought at first there was a movie called "Has America Learned?" regarding 9/11 but I think maybe I dreamed it up in my head.)

2. Snakes on a Plane

9/04/2006 7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Jen, you got #2 right! Keep working on it!

Hint: the other title came from a movie from the 1960s

Rob

9/04/2006 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Paris Burning? No, but she causes many men to burn.

9/05/2006 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, er...right. Is Paris Burning was a movie about WWII. Since noone got both, I guess no prize will go out.

Better luck next time!

rob

9/05/2006 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, i don't know if i've ever heard of that movie. I tried to research 60's movies, but i didn't come across that one. did they even have movies in the 60's?!! hee hee.

9/06/2006 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home