straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Babes on a Plane


She was beautiful and she sat down in the window seat in my row. As the plane got ready to take off I couldn't help but notice she had nothing to do. No book, no laptop, not even a magazine. As the flight went on she just stared at the seat in front of her, and then finally pulled out an ipod and just sat there, trance like.

It happened again the other day at the dentist. A very attractive blond (everyone is blond here in Utah by the way)college student came in and sat across from me in the waiting room. She had only her cell phone, clutched firmly in her hand like some sort of security blanket. She just sat there the whole time-staring straight ahead.

I wonder-is that the ideal for beautiful people now-to be as brain dead as Paris Hilton? In previous generations that was the stereotype-Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield were hardly known for their intelligence. But the current generation is known for not reading or thinking-beautiful or not. They are "successful" by their money making skills, involving computers or cell phones. And with Americans increasingly overweight and getting older, beauty and youth may be increasingly worshiped and adored. Thus, they don't need to aspire to much -just be.

So they sit there, doing nothing. And have dogs with brains the size of raisins.

While I, older and heavier, read my book on the American Revolution.

I wonder if they have a blog?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

Just thought you ought to know that when you post pictures of Paris Hilton on your blog, it makes it kind of difficult for me to check the blog while I'm at work, should my supervisor walk by at an inopportune time. Speaking of waste in government...

8/24/2006 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tl-sorry about that. I tried to choose the most innocent pic of PH I could find, but I didn't mean to make it so big. Still learning how to work this blog thing.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Rob

8/25/2006 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i don't know that a person always needs an external source to make them think. maybe they just want to take the time to think about their own life instead of being diverted by some source of entertainment, or maybe they were meditating or even praying. maybe they were in a rush and didnt have time to grab reading material. that often happens to me and i enjoy having the time to relax. but then maybe i'm just young, beautiful and stupid;-)(tell you what though, most people who make lots of money aren't brain dead...)

8/25/2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, Rob, Rob... I hate to admit it, but I'm a little disappointed in you. First, I'm blond and second, I await ANY opportunity in which I can listen to my iPod, because I have some excellent excellent Podcasts waiting for me (like Walk in the Word by James MacDonald, and a few others easily found at: http://oneplace.com/downloads/ ) and I also have several books on my iPod like the Chronicles of Narnia, as well as all of the Bible.

I challange you next time to refrain from making any assumptions, and instead take the opportunity to ask, "Hey, whatcha listening to??" You just might be suprised.

smiles,
monica

8/27/2006 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home