straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Monday, July 03, 2006

Legacy

Happy 4th!

John Adams wrote in 1776 that the 4th of July should be remembered by feasts, games, and fireworks. And so we do, some 230 years later. Tonite (they do it early here) we will once again oooh and ahhh as we watch the fireworks go off in the sky above us. My kids love the 4th and we play patriotic music for about 2 weeks before the day each year. I will always remember them singing "Its a Grand Old Flag" at the top of their lungs in the car when they were little, after they learned it in school. Even just this morning, my 11-year old daughter was singing "the Star Spangled Banner" with gusto in her room while she got dressed.

But do we remember the cost-and those who first paid it?

I love Ben Franklyn's reported words as he left the hall after voting for the Declaration of Independence. A women asked him, "Well Mr. Franklyn, what have you given us?"

"A republic, Madam", he replied. "...if you can keep it".

The history of the signers is sobering. Many of them died in the following war or lost their families and homes. Franklyn became permantly estranged from his son and grandchildren, who sided with the British. Some became destitute. Often portrayed today as rich land owners trying to get out of paying taxes, the signers paid a dear price for their actions, and few, if any, got richer.

As we celebrate, I want my children to understand that because of many, many people's sacrifices, we are still free.

Yes Mr. Franklyn, we have kept it, thanks to the Grace of God and the courage He has instilled in so many hearts over the years. For how much longer, no one knows. But I for one, am grateful to live in the "land of the free, ....and the home of the brave" (and I hope you sang that last part!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them."

7/06/2006 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud of many things that have been championed by the United States. The United States has been an enormous step forward for humanity in terms of representative government and human rights. Our example has been the premier example in the world.

I must admit that I am patriotic toward my country of birth, the United States. However, I am more patriotic toward the concepts of 'government by the people' and am immensely saddened by the very recent move of our nation to 'government by the corporation'. I have no patriotic feelings whatsoever toward Walmart Corporation. The funding of our national election campaigns by overpaid executives and corporations have polluted our grand experiment of representative government.

Patriotism is grand. Unbridled patriotism becomes Jingoism or McCarthyism. Critical patriotism is not the enemy.

7/10/2006 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home