straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Mother's Day


Mother's Day as we know it began in the early 1900's, as a woman asked her church to honor her mother. Soon it spread to other churches, some businesses sponsered it, Hallmark took over and there you are. So it too has Christian roots, as it began in an American Christian church (Methodist, for those who like such details). Certainly, the Bible mentions motherhood with a great deal of respect. Recently, my son learned a verse in AWANAS, in Proverbs, about the importance of listening to your mother (I can't remember the reference of course, but HE can!)

My kids have a great mother, one who has persevered in helping them in becoming musically talented (years of piano, and now the drums for my son). She has taught them to respect others, treat living things kindly and gently, pursue discipline, love God....this could go on for pages!

I loved my own mother very much. (There she is above, with my brother and I on Mother's Day when I was about 5) Though she drove me crazy sometimes, she was always there for me, always believed in me, always supported me. She became a Christian later in life and I saw God change her into a more optomostic person; wanting to reach others with the Gospel (she still struggled with depression at times, and was a bit heavy handed trying to share her faith, but who is without their faults?) At her memorial service, I thought of I Cor 13, the famous "love" chapter. She truly exemplified all those characteristics of Godly love towards me. I am truly grateful for my mom and miss her very much. I can still here her voice and feel her joyful hugs whenever we would visit....

Mother's Day, as in everything else, has become sadly complicated and tinged with problems and awkwardness. This simple celebration of motherhood has become another emotional minefield as our culture slowly deteriorates. A fact that should shock us: I just read that 40% of babies born in 2007 were born to unwed mothers. Homosexuals are now adopting children and having them through in vitro fertilization. Too many young mothers are addicted to drugs,etc. and end up abusive. As in other issues related to family, there is now a lot of sadness related to being a mother.

And so in our church this year, mothers were asked to stand for a brief applause. Some of the things just mentioned were said. The sermon had nothing to do with mothers. To be honest, it felt like we were trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. And almost on cue, after all this was done, an unwed mother in a well known family came in with her baby and boyfriend (they might have had a quick wedding-I do not know) and sat down, probably the first time most of the congregation knew about it.

But, at least for now, most of us hold on to the memories of the traditional mother, even with all her faults.

I hope you had a good one too-and that you tell her so while you still can.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Tina said...

Last year you were upset that for Mother's day there was a long sermon about Mom's and a flower given, while all the Father's got on Father's day was a prayer.

This year the Mom's got a prayer, which I still believe is more important than a flower that dies in flash, and no sermon. Standing up was a bit silly since I'm only a mother because God made me one, and He should get the glory.

I'm not sure though that anything done at church on these two holidays would please you Rob.

5/24/2009 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa-I don't know who you are Tina, but you're a little outa line here. His point was that a simple thing like motherhood has become so complicated by our messed up world. I don't see him dumping on the church that much-he seemed to really like Mother's Day stuff last year. And his whole thing on holidays and their Christian roots is what he is mainly getting at.

You seem way to quick to critisize-lighten up!

5/25/2009 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Travis L. said...

Rob,

I think you're on to something. Don't think I'm too crazy here, but I was reading Ann Coulter's latest book a while back and she has an entire chapter on single mothers and the decline of our society. While this is entirely not a poiltically correct thing to talk about, the correlations between the rise of single motherhood and increases in crime rates are undeniable. It seems it's now popular to glamorize single motherhood (meaning, women who choose to have children outside of marriage - this does not include divorcees and widows), while the traditional family almost becomes vilified. Now that I have a son, I often wonder how I'm going to teach him truth in an increasingly complicated world with blurry moral boundaries.

On a separate note, your honesty in your blog is refreshing. I appreciate your honest observations.

5/26/2009 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture of "Mom" and those two cute little boys. Yup, I had a tingle of recognition.

--Steve F., Des Moines (former Riversider -- how did I end up in Des Moines?)

6/05/2009 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home