straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wisdom of the Ages

"Everybody likes me Dad....except Satan."

So my son said one day when he was about 6 years old. We try to write down things like that, but there are so many we miss. Kids just say what they think, without guile. They learn that later, so by the time they are adults, who knows what they really think? (ahem, that's you and me folks)

Here are a few recent ones from my son Ethan, now 9 and my daughter Jessica, 11.

"Dad, mom is crabby again this morning. Why in the world did you marry her?"-Ethan

"Dad", she said in exasperation. " I know exactly what sex is. I'ts the difference between boys and girls." -Jessica, after she heard us telling a friend about the content of a movie they were considering.

Recently a new boy joined Ethan's 3rd grade class. He appeared to be Hispanic and seemed very unhappy and withdrawn, so Ethan and I talked about him reaching out to and saying "Amigo." The next day I asked him how it went. "Oh, he doesn't speak Spanish dad. He's pork and cheese."

"Dad, I want to make a law requiring little brothers become extinct."-Jessica

"Dad, why do you color your moustache? You're so old and wrinkly it doesn't make any difference"-Ethan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post just made me laugh out loud, Rob. Love it.

2/15/2006 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home