straightshot

Honest thoughts on ministry,culture, and living in Utah

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

I love diversity. I love studying the Bible. science (especially biology and astronomy),and history. I love music, the outdoors...and my family of course. They give me the greatest joy I have ever known!!

Monday, December 19, 2005

Faith

This might be my last entry for a while ....probably see you after Christmas....

I have enjoyed this discussion on science, faith, birds, bits, etc. Thanks to all who contributed and join me in thinking through these things. I am a bottom line kind of guy though, so I wanted to get there before I move on to other fascinating topics. And so, to all my gentle readers, I pose another question:
Isn't every position based on faith? The scientist trusts the instruments, his colleagues, the process , etc. The philosopher trusts her arguments, logic, records of what other great thinkers have said (didn't I read somewhere there are no actual originals of Plato's work?), etc. The theist trusts in all those things too and also a spiritual experience, feelings, etc.
I am convinced there are two kinds of faith. Intelligent faith would encompass all of the above. Blind faith would perhaps involve just one approach, e.g. how I feel, or just following one person's thoughts.
I am convinced that faith in Christ,even his coming as a baby in a manger, is an intelligent faith, defensible using all the disciplines mentioned above.
But it is faith. That I freely admit.
And so is everything else.
Have a Merry, Merry Christmas!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Travis said...

Yes, every decision is based on faith. We can be certain of nothing. I think most people choose to put faith in themselves, their own reason, their own ability to find reasons. Jesus asks us to put faith in Him, which is something we rebel against. It's easier to put faith in myself, I think I'm a smart reasonable guy. But in the end, as I realize how little I actually have control over, how little my knowledge base is, it makes sense to trust someone other than myself. Many of us choose a body of knowledge, a collective group to put our faith in. Science, religion, philosophy, spirituality, math etc. Why, with all of these choices, would you put faith in one person, Jesus? Foolishness(1 Cor) for sure. But I choose Jesus not because He's proven Himself to be smarter, or able to offer more. I choose Jesus because He's chosen me. That's the starting point for my faith in Jesus. Everything else flows from there.

That makes it hard to evangelize though. Since, mostly I'm providing reasons that stem from Jesus revealing Himself to me. I suppose I'm trusting Jesus to reveal Himself to those I'm trying to convince. It's on Him in every case anyway.

12/19/2005 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home